Cucumber Salad Serves 4
This cucumber salad is the perfect way to use up your cucumbers during their peak growing season.
- 3 large continental cucumbers.
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced.
- 2 tsp sugar.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- 1/4 cup white vinegar.
- 1/2-1 cup water.
- Wash and grate your cucumbers into a large bowl, add your onion.
- Boil some water and pour 1/4 cup into a jug, add the sugar, salt and pepper, stir to dissolve.
- Add another 1/4 cup of water and the 1/4 cup of vinegar, stir. Pour over grated cucumbers, taste. If it’s too strong add a little extra water. Season more if needed. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Quartered tomatoes, or halved cherry tomatoes are an excellent addition to this salad. A sprinkling of sumac can also be wonderful.
I’ve made this quite successfully using balsamic vinegar instead of white vinegar and omitting the sugar, for a healthier version. Would probably only use 2 Tbsps of balsamic and start with only 1/2 cup of water.
Per Serve (Approx.)
Calories 62 kJs 259
0 Fat 13g Carb 1g Protein