Sweet Potato Shakshuka Serves 4
This super hearty vegetarian meal has simple ingredients and is easy to make. It will satisfy your hunger, and is very budget friendly.
It’s important to have diversity in your diet, and by incorporating a meat free day throughout the week for us, I’m able to utilise vegetables we may not otherwise eat.
- 1 large onion, finely diced.
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- 400g tin organic crushed tomatoes.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- 1/4 tsp pepper.
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste.
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- 1 medium sweet potato (400g approx.) diced small.
- 1 medium zucchini (250g approx.) diced small.
- 6-8 leaves of silverbeet (swiss chard) finely sliced.
- 1 tsp ground cumin.
- 1 tsp coriander ground.
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder.
- 4 eggs.
- 25g parmesan.
- 2 tsp olive oil.
- Pre heat oven to 200C.
- In a dutch oven, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil, until softened. About 3-5 mins.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer, covered for around 15-20 mins, until thick and rich.
- Meanwhile, In another saucepan sauté your sweet potato and zucchini on medium heat for 5 mins, add your spices and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Add your silverbeet and 1 cup of water or stock, simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to your dutch oven, along with another 1/2-1 cup of water or stock, place lid on and bake in the oven for 20 mins.
- Remove lid, make four little pouches in the mix and crack your eggs in. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, bake for around 5 mins or until your egg whites are cooked and the yolk still has a little run.
- Serve alongside a salad if desired, or as is.
This dish re-heats very well, so if you’re only cooking for 2, you’ll have yummy leftovers!
The sauce does need to simmer for a while to develop the depth of flavour. It’s frustrating to use two pans, but I really find the flavour is more enhanced when doing it in this manner. If you wish, you could try throwing the additional ingredients into the dutch oven raw and add an extra 10 mins cooking time in the oven (remembering to add your extra water).
Prep 10 min
Cook 40-50 min
Nutritional value (per serve Approx.)
Cal 247 kJ 1033