Veggie Chilli Serves 10-12
Meat free chilli! You won’t even notice there’s no meat. Packed with flavour and still containing good protein from the beans, this will quickly become a family favourite. It’s nice to try and remove meat from a meal at least once a week, and you’ll be rewarded with the fibre and extra nutrients that vegetables have to offer. The best part of this meal is you can tailor the dish as to however you’d like to serve it. Nachos…Burrito bowl…Enchilada….
- 1 400g tin lentils
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans.
- 1 400g tin black beans.
- 1 400g tin kidney beans.
- 1 Tbsp ghee or lard.
- 2 onions, diced.
- 6 cloves of garlic, diced (4 tsp crushed garlic).
- 2 capsicums, diced.
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp pickled jalapeño, finely diced. (plus 1 Tbsp juice).
- 2 tsp onion flakes.
- 2 tsp garlic granules.
- 1 tsp ground cumin.
- 1 tsp ground coriander.
- 1 tsp sweet paprika.
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika.
- 1/2 tsp allspice.
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp pepper.
- 300ml beer.
- 700ml passata (plus 1/2 the jar with extra water or stock).
- Place Ghee into the pressure cooker with the onions and garlic, sauté until translucent. Add the spices and cook for a minute.
- Put in your capsicum, beans and remaining ingredients, remembering to use extra water/stock, stir thoroughly, close lid and cook for 40 mins.
- Remove lid and check to see the consistency. Cook further if you need more reduction.
- Serve over rice, sweet potato or corn chips.
This recipe can be made in a regular pot on the stove top, however time will increase in order for the flavours to fully develop. Perhaps cook for 1-2 hrs on a gentle simmer (you may not need to add the extra water).
You could also make this in the slow cooker, no need to add the extra water. Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Portion up and freeze any leftovers for an easy weeknight meal.
Could use to make a Mexican style lasagne, using tortillas for layering.
Serving possibilities are endless.
Don’t worry about the addition of the beer, you will not taste it, and the alcohol content is cooked out. But it leaves behind a wonderful flavour.
(Per Serve Approx.)
169 Calories 707 kilojoules
2g Fat 10g Protein 23g Carbs